The foundation of the company was laid in 1908 by Josef Sandner as he bought the old “pond mill”, a sawmill in Schönbach/ Bohemia, (today: “Luby u Chebu” in the Czech Republic).
During the following years he focused on processing and selling of tone woods. Tone woods are special types of wood which are used for building musical instruments. Like previous tone wood merchants from “Schönbach” he also obtained the wood in the Bohemian Forest, the Alps, the Carpathians or Bosnia. Due to the abundance of wood in these areas the following years brought a good order situation resulting in the extension of the company, which had nearly 20 employees at this time. The company even owned a subsidiary in the French violin manufacture centre Mirecourt and could on this way improve its contacts to French as well as international manufacturers.
Besides the trading of tone woods the company now begun also to produce and sell musical instruments and their components.